Blood Song - Rhiannon Hart During the first chapters there were only some things that rubbed me the wrong way:

- the language in general and certain expressions that in my point of view did not match the high fantasy setting,
- the forced fairytale vibes - including a carriage that looked like a hollowed pumpkin and letters sent out within an instant to advertise the princess' hand in marriage to the bald and bumpy -,
- the heroine speaking of her mother as Renata while Renata always addressed her daughters as "Daughter",
- the heroine making sudden presumptions based on absolute nothing - just to push forward the plot's main mystery (I can imagine that it takes a lot of effort and skill to make a heroine's unraveling a riddle seem natural and smooth, but still. I scoffed and snorted repeatedly, but a little more irritated each time),
- the pet-eagle on the heroine's arm (I looked it up: There are indeed species that weigh only a pound, but most eagles lug around a few kilos) as if it were little parrot.

Later I got annoyed by Princess Zeraphina's hypocricy (i.e. she expresses displeasure when she is served peacock, because peacocks are so decorative and should in her opinion be treated as no-food-decoration. But on the other hand she secretly craves blood and hunts in her spare time with a bird of prey), her general contempt, her bad mood and her limited view ... and I noticed that I was bored and had begun a calculation in my head about how much more time I would have to spend in this world before I could delve into the next one.

A few pages before I decided to pull the emergency brake (around page 150) the romance started to show first hints of bloom, but I already disliked the characters too much to get roped into a heart-throb-mode.

I am so sorry, dear Booker friends, for not loving the book like you do. And sorry for speaking ill of your new favorite. But I am also so relieved that I managed to cancel my order, because a friend intervened and offered to lend me her copy. 'You can always buy it later', she said. She is right. I can, but I won't. Thank you, M.!